Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hohenwald Golf Tournament



32 years ago I walked into Bob Sams' (a friend since high school) dorm room at UT and met a young man from Hohenwald, Tennessee.  I thought he said "hole in the wall"!  Chris Cantrell has been my friend ever since.  Along the way, he introduced me to golf, Hohenwald, and two of my other friends- Larry Johnson and Mike Sisco.  It has been a lot of fun.

I started playing in the Hohenwald invitational in 1981-  the year after I graduated from college.  I have not missed a tournament.  It is a unique place with unique and friendly, funny people.  As I told my son, if you call someone Mr. Barber or Brewer, you have about a 50% chance of getting it right!  Christopher started attending a couple of years ago and absolutely loves it!

Mike and Doreen Sisco bought a "camp" on the Buffalo River (the picture for this blog was taken from their back yard) last year and that is where we had our lowcountry boil this year.  Doreen does a terrific job with this every year.  I don't know why she puts up with us, but she does.  Christopher fished and loved it.  Larry missed the tournament this year, but he will be back next year.

It has and always will be a special time.  In the early years, I thought it was probably more about partying than golf.  Then I thought it was more about the golf than partying.  I was wrong on both accounts.  It is about the friends.  Here is the slideshow.

No comments: